On January 16, 2019, the Boston Board of Health adopted amendments to Boston's Biological Laboratory Regulations to:
- Rescind the Recombinant DNA Use and Technology Regulation,
- Remove the prohibition on rDNA research on BSL-4 agents in Boston, under the condition that any rDNA project undergo rigorous approval process for BSL-4 projects
- Incorporate the regulation of the use of recombinant DNA (rDNA) into the Biological Lab Regulation,
- Formalize a requirement that each individual BSL-4 research project undergo review by the Boston Biosafety Committee prior to receiving approval by BPHC, and
- Revise definitions and citations to align with updated national guidance documents.
Board meeting materials can be found here.
Biological Laboratory Regulations Implementation & Enforcement Guidelines (As of October 15, 2019)
Biological Laboratory Regulations (As of January 16, 2019)