Before selling any tobacco and/or nicotine delivery products you must first obtain a Boston Public Health Commission Permit for Location and Sales of Tobacco Products.
All fully completed forms and check or money order must be submitted IN PERSON to the Boston Tobacco Prevention and Control Program located at 1010 Massachusetts Avenue 2nd Floor Boston, MA 02118
To apply for a permit:
1. Review the Clean Air Works Workplace and Youth Access Regulations
2. Contact the Boston Tobacco Prevention and Control Program for a Permit Application
3. Sign and submit the Retail Establishment Owner/Operator Statement
4. Submit a Copy of your Massachusetts Department of Revenue Retailers License for Sale of Cigarettes (Form CT-3A) or receipt indicating that you have applied for a license. A permit will not be issued until the DOR license is secured
5. Submit permit fee in the form of a check or money order payable to the Boston Public Health Commission. Contact the Boston Tobacco Prevention and Control Program for applicable permit fee.
6. Additional information including but not limited to proof of purchase of retail location, lease agreement, business utility bill, and purchasing sales agreement may be needed to complete the processing of a permit application
Permits are non-transferable. If you move your business to a different location or sell your business to a new owner, you cannot transfer the permit. You must report the change in your business status immediately to the Boston Tobacco Prevention and Control Program.