Tobacco Prevention and Control Program
Aims to protect children, families, and individuals from the harmful effects of tobacco use and second-hand smoke in environments where they live, work, study, and play through our programs
- Preventing youth initiation
- Supporting tobacco cessation
- Workplace policy enforcement
WHAT WE DO
Through regulatory efforts, collaboration with other city agencies, community organizations, health care organizations, higher education institutions and residents, our work has helped Boston:
Clean Air Workplace Regulation Smoke-free Housing
Youth Access Regulation Tobacco Cessation
WE LEAD TO PROTECT HEALTH
Boston was the first city in the United States to prohibit the sale of tobacco products at college campuses and other institutions of higher education. Boston was the second city to prohibit the sale of tobacco products at pharmacies and other healthcare institutions.
QUITTING SMOKING AND VAPING
Smoking harms nearly every organ of the body, causing many diseases and affecting the general health of smokers and those exposed to secondhand smoke. Vaping has also been linked to serious illnesses. The only protection from the dangerous effects of smoking and vaping is to live smoke-free and vape-free. The rewards of quitting are almost immediate and are well worth making the commitment. Learn more about the benefits of quitting here.
We can help you quit! You are not alone! There are a number of programs in Boston to help you quit. Individuals can get up to eight weeks of free nicotine replacement treatment (patches) by participating in counseling through 1-800 (1-800-784-8669).
Are you a menthol smoker trying to quit? See how you could earn cash just for trying below.
MA Smoker's Helpline is offering a CASH incentive program to residents who use menthol tobacco products. Program details:
- Residents will receive:
- $10 after completing the first coaching call.
- $15 after the second coaching call.
- $25 after the third coaching call.
- If residents enroll online, they must complete coaching calls via telephone to receive cash.
- The program may be time-limited pending utility and availability of funds.
- Up to 8 weeks of free Nicotine Replacement Therapy is available to residents who speak with a coach (once screened for medical eligibility).
- Patients are encouraged to take advantage of the Helpline's full offerings including a total of 5 coaching calls, unlimited calls to the helpline, and online support.
To access the MA Smokers' Helpline, MA residents can:
If you have any questions or need language translation assistance, please contact the Boston Tobacco Prevention and Control Program at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-534-4718