Organizing healthy meetings is a great way to get your group accustomed to healthier choices. Regardless of whether the meeting is official or social, formal or casual, encourage organizers and attendees to follow a few simple guidelines:
- If food is served, offer primarily healthy choices. Avoid fried or pre-packaged items. Recommended snacks include:
- Fresh fruits and vegetables Low-fat yogurt
- Low-sodium, whole wheat pita bread or crackers
- Unsalted pretzels or popcorn
- Unsalted, baked tortilla chips
- Hummus or low-sodium salsa
- Partner with food purveyors (restaurants, cafes, stores) that source healthy food and beverages.
- Discuss with members, colleagues, congregants, and participants the importance of providing healthful choices at gatherings and encourage them to share in this commitment at events of their own.