Since OSNAP aims to make environments healthier wherever kids are, OSNAP goals can be easily adapted at home as well. As parents, here are a few ways you can help your kids make the healthy choice the easy choice:
- Serve water at every meal and snack.
- Do not allow sugar-sweetened beverages in your home.
- Serve a fruit and/or vegetable at every meal and snack.
- Choose foods with 0g of trans fat, without partially hydrogenated oils in the ingredient list.
- When buying grains (like bread, crackers and cereals), choose whole grains.
- Limit screen time (TV, video games, computer, cell phone, tablet) to less than 2 hours each day.
- Do not allow TV sets in children's bedrooms.
- Provide opportunities for your child to engage in at least 1 hour of moderate physical activity every day.
For more ways to make your home healthier see Food, Fun & Family or visit Food and Fun.