On January 16, 2019, the Boston Board of Health adopted amendments to Boston's Biological Laboratory Regulations to:
- Rescind the Recombinant DNA Use and Technology Regulation,
- Remove the prohibition on rDNA research on BSL-4 agents in Boston, under the condition that any rDNA project undergo rigorous approval process for BSL-4 projects
- Incorporate the regulation of the use of recombinant DNA (rDNA) into the Biological Lab Regulation,
- Formalize a requirement that each individual BSL-4 research project undergo review by the Boston Biosafety Committee prior to receiving approval by BPHC, and
- Revise definitions and citations to align with updated national guidance documents.
Board meeting materials can be found here.
Biological Laboratory Regulations (As of January 16, 2019)
Biological Laboratory Regulation Guidelines (As of September 6, 2019)